Monday, January 12, 2015

A Little Kitchen Upgrade

Whenever Ann and Eric spend some days with us, Eric, bless his heart, always asks if there are any projects he can help with.  Dan has helped them with some projects over the years, notably the addition of a new set of stairs to their basement and the rehab of said basement before Daniel was born.  Eric thinks he "owes" us some help, which is of course hogwash, because Dan was happy to help.  But nevertheless, we appreciate that he offers.  

So the day after Christmas when Eric made his usual offer, I came up with a little project that had recently come to me.  While I dearly love our house, the kitchen arrangement is a little strange because our house has a big angle in it and it affects the kitchen the most.  A less than stellar result is that the area most used is a small corner between the stove and the refrigerator.  Note the word small. I'd been thinking that if a plug-in was added at the end of the peninsula that houses the sink, it would help when more than one cook is working in the kitchen.  (Ann and I had run into each other more than once preparing Christmas dinner and breakfast.) Or even when I am alone and need more space.

After pulling all the drawers and emptying the area under the sink, it was determined that putting in a plug-in would be "a piece of cake."  Yay!!  Grandson Keaton was pressed into service (he was wiring in outlets at the age of eight) and the project began.  

Here are Eric and Keaton wiring under the sink:


Dan cut the hole and installed the box for the outlet:


Keaton installing the outlet:


Sure is great to have such handy guys and all the necessary tools!  ♥

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! Good work!
    That plug-in at the end of the peninsula is just the best. Mike installed one at the "big" house and the modular home came with one. I miss it at the farm.

    I have issues with the modular home but the kitchen isn't one of them. It's the best kitchen lay-out I've ever had. Outlets are all cheap, though. Upgrades have been discussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kitchen is so important, but more often than not, the design is not well thought out. Mine is a case in point. However, I remind myself that I've made it work for over fifteen years and surely I can make it work for the next fifteen.

      Delete
    2. My sister Nina was proud of her big kitchen, but Mother said that no kitchen had more steps. A kitchen doesn't have to be big in order to be efficient.

      Delete
    3. You're right, Mine little space is efficient a good deal of the time, and terrible crowded the rest of the time!

      Delete