Ahh, one of my favorite months has arrived! Brilliant blue skies, crisp mornings, and carpets of brightly colored leaves. Absolutely gorgeous in every direction.
And here inside the resort, the call to cozy meals is being heard. Time to bake bread, cook up soups and stews and bake a few cookies. Yesterday I made a loaf of yummy whole wheat bread and realized I needed to pull some bags of extra flour from the freezer so they'd be available for the next baking. A few years ago I bought a bag of King Arthur white whole wheat flour. I'd been reading about it and thought I'd give it a try since I'm not a big fan of things that taste heavily of whole wheat. It did seem lighter. Since then I've used one I really like from a brand called Wheat Montana that my dad bought for me (available at a market in their town). I finished that one up and now I'm going to try one from Trader Joe's and see what I think. I've also used Bob's Red Mill stone ground whole wheat, but for a 100% whole wheat bread, it's a little heavy.
Meanwhile, small steps on the updating of our house are continuing. Dan is working away on parts of the yard and last week we installed a new toilet in the upstairs guest bath. An elderly guest was here a month or so ago and after using the facilities, she confided in me that she thought she wasn't going to be able to get up from our standard height toilet. I told Dan it was time to replace it with a new higher model as we couldn't have guests stranded in the potty. I had fallen in love with Kohler's Tresham line of bath fixtures and was planning on using them for our bath, so I was thrilled to find they made them in the color already in the main bath--Mexican Sand. We ordered one through our local plumbing shop and Dan was able to easily install it.
Only at the resort will you be asked to admire a beautiful new toidy!! Now to replace a few faucets in that bathroom and the light fixture and it'll be set. On to more projects!!! ♥
Great improvements to the resort! Love the toidy! Here at the town house, I have a new disposal in the kitchen and a medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Strange how these things can make us so happy!
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize one could find search for lighter whole wheat flour. I'm glad to know. We're conscious of the benefits of whole wheat flour, but when I buy the occasional white loaf, Mike will say, "This is good bread!" Have you tried Joseph's Grainery?
Isn't it amazing how just the littlest things *can* make us happy? (I realize a new toilet isn't little, but it's hardly, um, well noteworthy in the usual scheme of things.) I admit to going in to admire it several times a day, though! I love the lines of it.
DeleteI first became aware of white whole wheat when I started getting the King Arthur flour catalogs. I was intrigued and then I found it at Safeway so I bought a bag. It is less "hearty" in flavor, but it's still whole wheat. I'm looking forward to trying the Trader Joe's in my next batch to see how it compares with the others. AND I think I saw that Gold Medal had some the last time I was at Winco. We shall see--and compare!
Ooops! And no, I haven't seen any Joseph's Grains or tried it.
Deletehttp://www.josephsgrainery.com/
DeleteIt's just a small farm operation out of Colfax. I'm sure they sell someplace in your town. I am not a rep for the company, but they seem to put up some interesting products. I made cookies with the lentil flour -- different and good.