This is a little late in coming to the blog because I forgot to take my camera. Yup, big oops. So I decided to use my cell phone camera. Which I was totally unfamiliar with. The pictures were all taken outdoors and in the sunlight, which meant I never really knew what I was getting. All this to say that the pictures did not turn out exactly stellar. But I do have documentation, of sorts.
So what were the pictures of? Well, my dad built a combination shop and garage in back of their house about 1965. The roof is sloped to the back with the very back just above ground level on the hill behind. The original roof was tarred and Dad had redone it some years back, but it was leaking and causing him to worry. At ninety-one, there was no way he could do the job himself anymore. Family to the rescue!
On Saturday, September 6, Dan and I drove down. Bruder Bear had arrived the night before and son-in-law Eric and grandson Cameron were due in shortly after we got there. Dad had decided to put on a tin roof this time and he and Dan had already figured out all the materials needed and those had been delivered by the local builder's supply earlier in the week.
Now commenced the figuring, measuring and hole drilling. As Dan, John, and Eric conferred, at one point, I heard someone utter the comment that there were too many degrees working on this project! I had to laugh. (How many degrees you ask? Five between the three of them.)
![]() |
| Conference in process with Dad overseeing. |
Finally deciding on the correct placement for the holes for the screws, they began the work.
![]() |
| The hole drilling station. |
![]() |
| John placing the first strip. |
![]() |
| A terrible picture of the whole crew. |
It was a hot day but the guys worked hard until late in the afternoon when, red faced and worn out, they stopped. That Saturday also happened to be my mom's eighty-ninth birthday so after a rest and some cleanup, we all drove down to the local Mexican restaurant and had a great meal together. As we headed back to our trucks after eating I remarked to Bruder Bear that it had been many a year since we'd been on main street together on a Saturday night. Lots of memories in that town.
The roof was finally completed Monday morning and BB headed back home. It was a great weekend with four generations of family working together. Poor dad was stewing about not being any help up there, but I assured him everyone who was working was doing it because they wanted to. I told him it was time to reap his harvest. ♥




Hmmm! I thought I commented on this post!?
ReplyDeleteI said that I liked the pictures -- people helping people. You can't go wrong with that. And I recognized the place and everyone. The fact that our cell phones have decent cameras is impacting the photography industry.
Good job, everyone!
Hmm, your comment was hi-jacked?! Thanks for coming back and writing again. And you're right--the phone did take decent pictures, even if I didn't know what I was doing and didn't quite get the photo I hoped I was getting. :-) At least we do have photos.
Delete