When we were young marrieds with two tiny children, we moved to the valley where summers are HOT. Dan put in a garden and we had a wonderful crop of corn, beans, squash (summer and winter), beets; you know, all the standards. And it was a good thing because we didn't have much money! The first year we froze everything but in those pre-microwave days, it was not always easy to thaw what was needed unless one thought ahead. I usually didn't. The next summer, we invested in a pressure canner and from then on, veggies were processed that way.
Zucchini was always a good producer and both Dan and I have always been fond of it as a vegetable. Steamed, breaded and fried, no matter--we love the stuff. The summer of 1975 my friend Roxy offered me a loaf of zucchini bread, which I had never eaten before. Yum! She copied the recipe for me and I've made many loaves over the years. Every summer when I get it out, I see her handwriting and I miss her--she and her family moved to Oklahoma twenty-five years ago and there they've stayed. I'm reminded that handwritten recipes are a double gift--the recipe and memories of the friend who wrote it.
Zucchini has a reputation. It has long been believed that just a plant or two will produce more zucchini than one family could eat in a year. Sadly, our plant production the last few years has forced me to repudiate that claim. Last year we got nary a one. This year we have grown a few, but not nearly enough to satisfy me. What gives?!? And I really needed them--our supply of zucchini relish gave out last winter, an unheard of disaster in our home since 1979 when our pastor's wife gave me the recipe. So, the few zucchini that managed to set were left to grow to giant size for their noble purpose: to be shredded, mixed with onions, peppers and spices, cooked, and canned. I am happy to report that twelve jars are now in my pantry; they should last us until next summer. I made two batches, six jars each, and used the extra shredded zucchini to make double batches of the bread. Yay! Here's a picture of the first batch.
The first years I made both the bread and the relish, I grated every cup by hand. Then along came my first food processor and I was thrilled! This year I used my new Cuisinart and I must say it made even shorter work of the shredding process. And so quiet!
Only the mess in the sink remained. It's such a blessing to have the right tools! ♥
Hmm...I do wonder what has impacted your zucchini production. That's the thing about those food processors--lots of parts to clean!
ReplyDeleteI think we just need better dirt. Maybe next year we'll find a new spot and we'll be over run with zucchini!!
DeleteAll the parts to my new food processor go in the dishwasher. Yay! The old one had a spindle that needed to be hand washed and it was sometimes a bear, but no more!
I had no zucchini this year. Something (deer) ate the plants right out of the ground before they had a chance. It's been years since I had a really prolific zucchini plant, though.
ReplyDeleteI don't know the history of zucchini bread, but the mid-'70s was when we began to see the recipes -- for bread and more. Mother sauteed zucchini with onions and green pepper. Now I do the same thing but add fresh tomato and season with a little sugar and allspice.
Yes, the mid '70s was when zucchini came into its own. Hmm, maybe we'll have to do some research?
DeleteOne of my favorite summer dinners is a summer squash skillet I created circa 1980; it uses both zucchini and the yellow squash along with burger, spices, tomato sauce and a topping of seasoned stuffing mix. I look forward to making it every year.
Prior to that, it was a sin if you overlooked a zucchini and it grew too large. You had to surreptitiously throw it in the garbage when no one was looking. What waste -- and it was the gardeners fault! But once we had quick breads and cakes, no one cared any more. Overgrown zucchini was shared at work, at church -- everywhere.
DeleteI have often thought that some meat in my summer squash melange would make it a one-dish meal. Yours sounds good, Chris.
I'll have to do a post and share the recipe. It really is a one-dish meal, which makes it perfect in my book! :-)
Delete