Sunday, September 15, 2013

Oops! I Lied!

A day or so after I wrote my last post, I realized I had made a grievous error.  I said that no work was done on Labor Day at Bruder Bear's, but that's not true.  I didn't work, but the other three did!  

Karen's decorating guru is Candace Olson of TV and book fame, and she said Candace says every home needs a little bling.  Karen decided a chandelier in the entryway would be just the thing.  So she bought one and brought it home some time ago.  Of course, as with most things these days, the instructions were a little, well, incomprehensible.  John looked at them and was baffled, so the light was put away for the time being.  

Enter us and someone (Dan) to help figure the instructions out.  They read, they pondered, they spread things out.  They compared parts to the pictures.  It was slow going.  Finally, John decided to just start in.  


(Turns out those trusty Swiss Army knives are just the thing even when hanging chandeliers.  That's what Dan is handing John in the photo above.)

Meanwhile, Karen started sorting the crystals to be hung. There are many of them!


The project progresses!


And we have bling!


Oh wait!  I did document this momentous occasion, so maybe I did work?  Hmmm....♥

5 comments:

  1. It's very pretty. And I shouldn't say anything -- to each his own -- but through my experience with a chandelier at "the big house," I learned that "bling" comes at a cost I'm not willing to pay, especially on cleaning day. After that experience, "understated grace" became my decorating motto. But -- it is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very pretty and just Karen's style. I'm sure she'll keep it spotless. On the other hand, I know that I'm rather, shall we say, lax in my dusting, so it probably wouldn't sparkle for long here. However, hope springs eternal and I harbor hopes that someday I'll be a perfect housekeeper, and do it effortlessly. ♥

      Delete
    2. I was just thinking yesterday that I cherish hopes of being a good sewist, but I don't think my skills have improved since I was 12. I keep trying. It's the same with housekeeping, and like you, I think that one day I will be a good housekeeper, too.

      But--as far as the chandelier is concerned: been there, done that. Once my mother took pity on me and came with this stuff we sprayed on the chandelier. The dust -- now mud -- was supposed to drip off, but of course, that didn't happen. What a mess!

      It was admirable of the fellows to install it, and I know it's very pretty there.

      Delete
    3. The men in this family are all pretty handy, which is a great thing! Even if it's something they've never done before, they'll read up on it and give it a go.

      I've been working on the house this week and in spite of the harvest dust, it's looking pretty awesome. I've mostly resisted schedules since I retired, but right now I'm thinking maybe one for the house would be good. I'm very good about keeping things picked up, but not so much about vacuuming and dusting. My other problem is that I think I should be able to do it all in a few minutes which is, of course, absurd. Just because it happens on TV and in the movies doesn't make true in real life...

      Delete
    4. I suspect you've been pulling out some of your autumn creations and decorating, and that always inspires the cleaning process. I've made a mess here, trying to create more space in my sewing room. I had hoped to sew tomorrow, but I'm afraid I'll still be coping with the mess.

      Delete