Monday, August 26, 2013

Chicken for A Cold

Thursday morning I hurried through all my morning chores so I could get to Ann's house to watch Daniel while she took Cameron to get braces put on his lower teeth.  (He's had the uppers on all summer and it's amazing how those teeth have straightened.)

When I got back home around noon, Dan was sitting in his recliner moaning that he had "the crud."  (And here I must tell you I hate that word, but I also subscribe to truth in blogging, so...)  And it did, indeed, appear that he was suffering from the start of a cold, so who was I to quibble?  

A little while later, I was perusing the internet and happened upon The Pioneer Woman's recipe for chicken pot pie.  Aha!  An answer to my unspoken question of what's for dinner.  And, sort of like chicken soup, it would be good for my sweetie.  I checked the list of ingredients, read the reviews (all excellent), and saw I only needed two items to make it happen:  turmeric and a potato. And I realize that a potato was a strange thing to need, but somehow in the summer we use very few potatoes and I realized buying a bag would only result in waste, so one potato it was.  After printing the recipe, I headed to my nearby Safeway and had fun wandering the aisles just seeing what was to be had there as opposed to my usual grocery shopping haunt.  

I had fun making the recipe and my only oops was in not thawing a pie crust soon enough and then overdoing it in the microwave.  The resulting topping isn't pretty, but it was truly all cooked and crispy.  


The only changes I made were to cook my chicken breasts in water and use that water for my broth, add the potato (suggested in one of the reviews), and use a dash of poultry seasoning instead of added salt.  It was delicious!  Dan loved it, too, and it will definitely be made again and again, and soon.  Oh, and I did add more flour because I like my filling thick.  

Here's a link to the recipe: Chicken Pot Pie

And as Ree would say, I was not paid for this endorsement, she doesn't even know who I am, over and out, amen. ♥

4 comments:

  1. So sorry Dan isn't feeling well. I was feeling sub-par this afternoon, but I think it was just a poor night's sleep in a hotel room to blame (work travel).

    Coincidence! We had pot pie for dinner, also. I used an Indian lentil curry recipe found here: http://wellvegan.com/dinner/indian-night-2 and a Pilsbury ready made crust (I'm not so good at making my own). We were pleased with the outcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for pot pies! Yours looks very interesting--I like that you chose to put the crust on the recipe and make it a pie.

      Hope you are feeling better now! Dan thinks he's getting better and while I caught it, too, I've not been as sick has he was. Hooray for sleep--I'm convinced it the secret weapon to getting over colds.

      Delete
  2. There's a "truth-in-blogging" rule? Who knew? I could have been hiding behind that all these times I've sorta smoothed over the words.

    I like pot pie, too. Thanks for the reminder because game birds are great in pot pie. I have a few to use . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding truth in blogging: As long as it's not X-rated, of course!! :-) Or is crud x-rated and I just don't know it??

      And I'll bet you're about to get more of those game birds!

      Delete