Yup, today is my honey's birthday. Most of the world has been concentrating on the fiftieth anniversary of the moon walk, but here at the Resort, it's a birth-day! Dan remembers well the day of the moon walk and he says that while the rest of the world thinks it heard Neil Armstrong say, "That's one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind," Dan says he really said, "That's one small step for Dan..." to honor his birthday. LOL!!
Anyway. . .
Dan had a fun day in the woods with his buddy Dennis exploring and picking a few huckleberries. While they were gone I decided I would go for broke and make him a totally from scratch cake and even use round cake pans to make it a layer cake. Several times this year a message from King Arthur flour has popped up either in my email or on Facebook with a link to their recipe of the year--a birthday cake. I looked it up and printed it and decided to give it a whirl. It did not disappoint!
I didn't take a picture of mine and now it's all wrapped up for tomorrow, so I borrowed this photo from the KA website.
Believe it or not, mine looked just like that except it's on a pink depression glass cake stand that belonged to my Grandma Hansen (of the picnic photo in my last post). We both loved the cake and if you'd like to give it a try, click here for the recipe. (In full disclosure, I used my usual recipe for the frosting--from the back of the box of C&H powdered sugar, chocolate version.) ♥

Haha! We also recall the moonwalk in conjunction with a birthday. Stepson Yancey's is the 20th. Perhaps we heard Neil say, "That's one small step for Yance . . ."
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love a layer cake on a cake plate. If I could, I would collect cake plates. I have a white milk glass cake plate of sentimental value (having been given to my mother by Hannah Huttenan, Aunt Sara's stepmother). But it now has a big crack across the center of it. Last week I saw the same model on Etsy for $50, and I struggled not to buy it as a replacement.
I do love that cake plate; it's the only one I have. After Grandma died, Mom used it every year for my pink birthday cake with pink frosting (Betty Crocker, I think the flavor was cherry?). After I was married, she passed it on to me. I'll gift it to Ann someday. ♥
Delete