It's a cold, damp day here at the resort. The kind of day that makes me want to read for about five minutes and then curl up under my blanket and take a nap! Which I did. We have leftover Summer Squash Skillet for dinner made with the last of the zucchini and crookneck from the garden. It wasn't a very good year for our plantings but we did get some squash.
Meanwhile, the poplars in the backyard are in full fall color. So beautiful!!
| Carpet of gold! |
The boxelder tree outside our bedroom has also burst into color. It amazes me each year.
Inside, Dan has been continuing his exercises. A visit to the orthopedist this morning left him with a big smile when he was told he was six weeks ahead of schedule! Here's a photo I snapped the other morning of him working at getting the last degrees of straightness in that knee. His right leg, the one with the new knee, is 3/8" longer than his left, always has been, and because of that and his knee problem, has probably not been straight in fifty years! But Dan is determined to get those last few degrees (less than 5) beat!
He hangs his legs over the edge of the bed and then uses his left foot to push down on his right foot for ten minutes three times a day. (He says it's very boring!)
We went to Keaton's soccer games on Thursday and Saturday. They won both games and we spectators froze!! There we all sat, huddled in our chairs under blankets, with heavy coats, mittens, scarves and hats. And it's only early October! I felt bad for the boys out there in their shorts and jerseys. Keat did have on Under Armour leggings and long sleeved shirt under his uniform. But still!!! (Cam says it's kind of strange to just be an observer after all his years of playing.)
I'm just setting the heel in my second sock. With all our cold weather, I've been wearing ones I've previously knit every day and they are keeping me nice and toasty warm.
It's fall, y'all!
Good for Dan -- working to get his range of motion back. It does take work. Mike has one leg shorter than the other. I think his knees are okay but it threw his back out of alignment.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's fall -- and quite lovely.
Thanks for the post.
Wow! Apparently uneven legs are not usual? Dan does not love (or even remotely like) doing all his exercises, but he's determined to get it right, so he keeps on keeping on. He got a special heel lift for that shorter leg and hopefully that'll help the other leg to be straight when stands and walks.
DeleteWell, I don't think we're exactly symmetrical. Mike has one leg 1/2 inch shorter than the other. For years I had to compensate for that when I shortened his slacks. His mother had a fit when she found out and told him if he didn't start wearing a lift, he would develop back problems. Now a lift is not enough. He has his footwear built up, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to find boots / shoes that can be modified.
DeleteDad had one leg almost an inch shorter after his woods accident and the installation of the steel plate. He always had his left shoe built up. When Dan got his lift at Peck's here in town, they said they usually just build up the shoes. Dad's boots were White's, specially made for him, and Dan also gets his there. He can probably take them back and get them to modify the left one.
Delete