Saturday, February 13, 2016

Happy Valentine's Eve...and Other Stuff

Here we are, almost half way through February, and tomorrow is Valentine's Day. The only room where I have Valentine's decorations is the dining room.  I did add a thing or two this year, though. On the table is this little setting:


The hearts on a stick in the vase were a gift from Daniel last year.  He bought them on the day we spent together while Ann took her friend Dayna on a round of doctors and hospitals.  Every time I look at those four hearts, I smile.  And I'm smiling, too, because Dayna's latest MRI showed further shrinkage of her brain tumor and a PET scan showed no active cancer cells!  Her doctor told her she's in uncharted territory and gave her three weeks off of her chemo.  She's enjoying renewed energy and a trip to Mexico with her sisters and mom as I type.  

I liked the leaves I made for the knob of the china hutch last fall so much that I was inspired to stitch out a Mary Engelbreit heart for this season.  Such a simple addition sure adds a lot:


Here's a bigger view of the whole hutch including a candle with a seasonal wrap:


Several years ago I created a banner for the embroidery club I taught at the quilt shop.  There's no mantle over our fireplace to place it under, and I couldn't figure out where else to put the banner, so I'm embarrassed to say I never put it up. This year I had an idea and it worked--under the dining room window:


Here's a longer range view showing the banner, the table, and the ultimate Valentine's decorating essential, a bowl of appropriately colored Peanut M&Ms:


Meanwhile, our hearts have been heavy this week as our friend, Steve, seems to be losing his battle with cancer. Steve, just a few years older than our kids, has been a good buddy of Dan's, is one of the pastors at our church, and with his wife, Tina, has provided us and many others, with an end of the holidays party known as Italian New Year's for a number of years.  As a couple, they have touched many lives near and far. We and hundreds of others are in prayer for this family that includes two young sons.  ♥

3 comments:

  1. We, too, know someone experiencing the ups and downs of battling cancer. We do what we can to let them know they are in our thoughts and prayers.

    I forgot to get out the Valentine banner we made, but that's okay. It's the learning experience that matters, and that was a good one.

    Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your decorations. The hutch is a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments on my decorations. And you know that Dan made the hutch. I'll pass your compliments on to him. :-)

    Our friend Steve went to be with Jesus yesterday morning. I always called him Stevie Boy (a la Larry the cucumber's super hero alter ego, Larry Boy) and told him his super power was love, so Valentine's Day was fitting. The tributes pouring in for him are incredible. Ann and I no longer call it Facebook, but Stevebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very little to say when the matter looms large, but I'm sorry for your loss.

    Yes, I knew Dan made that beautiful hutch. I think he should make more . . .

    ReplyDelete