Every year as part of my Christmas presents, Dan buys me a Mary Engelbreit page-a-day calendar. I enjoy looking at each day's art and often there is a quote of some kind. Yesterday's art (which I just read due to yesterday's busy schedule) showed a woman with huge, startled eyes reading a newspaper and the quote was: "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." It was attributed to Mark Twain. When I read it, I laughed out loud. It's so true! Anytime I know anything about an article in the paper, I can usually find at least one major error, and often more.
So my question (ponder) is, why do we ever believe what we read in the paper?? ♥
I thought you would ask, "Why do we ever read the paper?"
ReplyDeleteWell, that too! Actually, I've almost given it up. Funnies, Blotter Fodder, and Monday's old stuff are about it for me. Too depressing, and then of course, not exactly reliable...
DeleteThis subject brings up a lot of issues. Do we need to be well-informed citizens of our world? Do we need to know everything in order to be well-informed citizens? My opinion of what others are doing is not important, but my prayer is. There's a lot of deliberate misinformation out there.
DeleteI could go on, but I'll spare you . . .