Sunday, November 1, 2015

November!

We've been on the road this month.  After returning from Bruder Bear's, we were home for a while, working on bathrooms (will it ever end?), exercising (me!), and doing fun stuff like the laundry, etc., and then we were on the road again.  Last weekend was spent in Boise and McCall, and then Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of this week we were on the road watching soccer games as our two grandsons' school competed in an end of the season soccer tournament.  They came in second and Cam was chosen one of the six top players in the league.  
As my faithful readers (thank you for sticking with me!) know, I purchased an electric pressure cooker this year. I'm part of a Facebook group for the Instant Pot (the brand I purchased) and they are a busy bunch.  All kinds of pictures pop up each day and they seem to go from topic to topic.  

There's a yogurt function on the Instant Pot and I really never intended to use it, but then pictures began to show up on FB.  Intrigued, I checked a blog site that had been featured and read through the instructions and decided I should give it a try.  Oh.My.Goodness!  Easy? Absolutely.  Delicious? Absolutely. Will I do it again? Yes!

I ended up with six pints of thick, creamy yogurt from a gallon of two percent milk.  It did take all day, but I was only actively involved for less than an hour.  


I found the very nice plastic lids (made by Ball) locally. And I have to tell you, in my current issue of Country Living, they feature a set of very similar looking lids, in a set of six, for about forty-four dollars!!  I bought my box of eight for about four dollars!!  Pretty big price difference.  

The blog site recommended draining the yogurt in something called a nut milk bag, but I just used a large mesh strainer lined with a tea towel and set it over a big stock pot.  Worked quite well.  Here's the cleaned up pieces.  I used my canning funnel to ladle the yogurt into the jars.  


I've been happily eating the yogurt for days now.  I spoon some into a dish, add a drizzle of pure maple syrup, and sprinkle on some home-made granola.  And speaking of granola, here's a link to the recipe.  This stuff is seriously easy to make and totally yummy. 

Fall has finally arrived and it feels good.  Time to cozy down, drink hot coffee and tea, and make plans for the holidays.  I stitched a few leaves to add to our seasonal decor.

Hanging on the china hutch door

Tucked under a candle with embroidered wrap

Happy November!  ♥

11 comments:

  1. Love that you made the yogurt and the granola. Sounds like you're having fun with your Instant Pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Barbara! I am having fun with my Instant Pot, and your blog and recipes are a big part of that. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Those leaves are adorable!

    We've been working in the mud as we finally conquer some landscaping projects. Next year expect a full update on Halloween decorating. :) I need to go purchase Halloween things on clearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hallie! The leaves were fun to make and I'm so glad you like them.

      You and Nick are doing such an incredible job with that house. Can't wait for the next update. And yes, buy things now while they're on clearance--next fall will be here before you know it and you'll be so proud of yourself for having thought ahead! :-)

      Delete
  3. Great post, Chris. Perhaps I should join that FB group as I admit that I don't use the Instant Pot too much. Mike eats granola regularly. I used to make it but got tired of doing that. Maybe I'll check that out, too.

    Your leaf design is different from the ones I purchased -- at least I think so. Did you stitch them on tear-away stabilizer? I made some last year on chiffon -- I guess that's what we call it -- and I plan to do more this year.

    That Hallie! I made her some witch's boots this year for her Halloween decorating and was afraid to send them to her for fear she would think her mama was over the top. Well -- I still have them for her. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The FB group is called Instant Pot Community and as I said, they are an active group, but very inspiring and helpful.

      The leaf design I used is from an OESD set called Autumn Appliques 2 that I purchased years ago. I stitched them on felt using cut-a-way hydrostick (I think). Before the last edging was stitched, I slipped another piece of felt underneath so there'd be a backing.

      Looks like Hallie will like the boots! :-)

      Delete
    2. Ha! How funny to see this comment after I just made the comment on Mom's blog about the cute witch's boots. I never do the "notify me" option on the blogs. Yep, next year for the decorating...

      Delete
    3. Ha!! Love how this has worked out! Boots coming your way for certain now. :-)

      Delete
    4. Oh yes -- she'll get her boots. I'll try to remember to get them to her next year. I think they'd be cute in the office -- closed in a file drawer, buried in a bowl of candy, poking out from under a desk.

      Delete
  4. Six pints is quite a bit of yogurt. Does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I just finished off the last and I made it October 17th. You could always use a half gallon of milk and just follow the same instructions, halving the other ingredients. The amount of milk doesn't make a difference in the program.

      Delete