Saturday, May 31, 2014

Saturday...and the End of May

I am amazed to think that tomorrow is the first of June. Summer is arriving and it feels good.  My sweetie is hard at work on the front landscaping so I'm planning to reward him with a big ol' homemade pizza for supper.  He said it sounded wonderful, bless his heart.  

Down in the sewing room, as I mentioned yesterday, I'm working on a new table runner.  Earlier in the month, while my brain was recovering from being at Mom's and helping her, I needed to sew.  Since the kit for this runner was laying out, it was a no-brainer to start it.  I didn't have to think about finding a pattern and then the fabrics to go with it; all was in readiness.  So runner it was.  


The border on this runner is composed of, are you ready?  One hundred fifty-six pieces.  Yup, 156 pieces! Stitch, stitch, stitch.  Eventually they will go around an appliqued center piece that will feature the leaves you see in the middle of the above picture and will look like the border on the runner pictured below (also shown in earlier blog posts here and here).


I have the fabric to make the last runner in the set which uses a big border type fabric for the center rather than an appliqued one.  At this point I'm not certain I am willing to do another of these borders, but maybe in a few months...

Meanwhile, on the scrapbook front I've make it to Keaton's arrival (he was twelve in February).  Oh well, I'm getting closer to the present!  ♥

7 comments:

  1. I love those pretty leaves! I'm too excited for summer to think about being excited about fall, but I will be! Warm tea, soup, and heavy sweaters. Right now it's cold tea, salad, and shorts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean! I'm so glad for the beautiful weather we're having and wearing capri pants and flip flops! The trouble with quilting is that it takes time and you have to work out of season to be ready for the next one.

      Delete
    2. "Out of season" -- Yes, I've noticed that. Perhaps it's true of sewing in general. You have to think ahead all the time. My Halloween quilt won't be finished this year either if I don't get busy. And I think I have three Christmas quilt kits on hand.

      How are the leaves affixed to the fabric? It's really very pretty. Will you display one of these at the store?

      It's interesting that quilters love scrapbooking.

      Delete
    3. The leaves were laser but and have something like Heat and Bond on the back. I'll iron them on and then stitch them down somehow. I did a blanket stitch on the other runner, but these leaves have so many angles I'm not sure it would work with them.

      As to scrapbooking, I think in some way, it is rather like quilting, but the pieces are photos and paper. Each calls for a discerning eye and the use of color to highlight the finished piece.

      Delete
    4. And of course that was supposed to be laser CUT!! Sheesh!

      Delete
  2. The worst of it is that I couldn't figure it out. (LOL) I sat here thinking that you had started writing one thing and changed your mind. I saw the angles on the leaves and that's why I asked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm really glad I wrote the correction! :-) I swear I read that over two times before I hit publish, and then I saw the mistake when it showed up in my email inbox...

      Delete