Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bushwackers


When we bought our house back in the fall of 1999 (in the last century!!), it came with a number of things needing work.  We've plunked away here and there, with no area, indoors or out, being "done."  I guess that means we have job security!  

In the picture below, taken when we looked at the house before buying, you can see several things that have been changed. 


The shake roof was replaced with a composite roof and the garage door was replaced.  Even the truck was replaced last summer! See those shrubs just in the front of the house?  They were quite large then, and now, fourteen and a half years later, they were huge!  We've mentioned needing to take them out several times, but we knew it would be a project not to be taken lightly. Several weeks ago, Dan decided this would be the year.  

Grandsons Cameron and Keaton are on spring break this week, so the offer was made to have them help for pay. Cameron's class is going to Washington, D.C. for a class trip in May and he's been doing a number of things to help pay his share.  Keaton won't be going for two years, but he loves to shop Amazon.com! They were in!  They began yesterday and continued today, with more work to come if the weather cooperates.

Here are some scenes from this afternoon:

Only a chain saw can work on this mess!


To work!


Cam and Keat pull the brush out.


Sometimes a little hand work is needed before . . .


the brush is loaded on the trailer.

A lot of work has been accomplished and we're so thankful we have the boys to help!  ♥

3 comments:

  1. I bet they'd help Grandpa Dan do anything -- pay or not.

    Yes, those shrubs do become overgrown. I'm anxious to see a picture of the house without the shrubs. I think it's good that you're coming out of hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right, but they are so much help, saving Dan much time, that they deserve to be paid for their hard work.

      And you're right again--we are coming out of hiding! I can't believe the difference it is making. I like it!!

      Delete
    2. Oh-- I was only kidding. I just think they really like their grandpa. But I was thinking this afternoon as I walked the dogs -- I like to shop Amazon, too. Maybe I should apply for a job with "Uncle" Dan.

      Delete