Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Pointed Post

A year ago I made this quilt for the shop.


See all those star points?  When each point was made, the method used left me with a pair of triangles, one of brown and one of the appropriate print.  The other day, I was sorting through my sewing room closet and I found a bag of fabric scraps.  I peeked in and there were all those triangles.  I started to throw them away, but then I thought it seemed wasteful (I'm sure my great-grandmothers would have shuddered at the thought) and so I reached in and pulled out a handful.  And then another, and another.  Hmm, there they were, in matching pairs, almost like they'd just come out of my GO! cutter (except the points were not blunted...).  

I laid them out and stared at them for a while and then began to stitch them together.


A little math for you.  There are thirty blocks in that quilt, each with eight points to the star.  That's eight times thirty, which according to my calculations equals two-hundred-forty sets of triangles.  Yikes!  At this point, I'm thinking of putting them together to make pinwheels.


I'm such a ditherer.  Do I want to make the print triangles all the same in a block, or use two prints as in the picture above, or totally mix them up.  Right now I'm leaning toward two prints, but tomorrow, who knows? Meanwhile, I'm still stitching those two-hundred-forty sets of triangles together.  And cutting off the points.  

4 comments:

  1. It's great that you're using the triangles, and it's going to be interesting no matter what you do. Your grandmothers surely approve. What will it be? A table topper? A lap robe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good question! I think I have a plan, but when I begin to get the blocks made and put them up on the design wall, they may tell me to do something completely different. What ever it is, it can't be larger than a lap quilt. I don't think. :-)

      Delete
  2. And by next week, you might make another decision...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you're probably right, Cindy! And maybe I'll decide it won't work at all!

      Delete