I always have a hard time saying goodbye to Christmas and this year is no exception. I knew the time had come to take the tree down--there's a smell they get when it's time for them to go, before they go up in flames and torch the entire house, and ours had it.
So, this morning, without too much thought, I took the first ornament off. I knew if I thought about it too much, I'd decide I needed one more evening with the soft glow of the lights and the shine of the ornaments. After the first one, the second followed, and Dan appeared and began to help. It didn't seem so bad.
When we had the tree stripped, Dan went to get his big pruners and began to lop off the branches. We discovered last year that by doing this, we had much less mess to contend with when he hauled it out the front door. When he took the last batch of branches out to the pickup, I looked at what was left of our tree and thought, "It's a Charlie Brown Christmas tree!" When Dan came back in, I told him. We decided to hang just one ornament on it and take a picture, just for fun.
Here it is:
Most of the rest of our Christmas things are still out. Every day or so I decide to put something away, but it's a slow process and I enjoy the bright Christmas colors during the dreary January days.
Our little Daniel is doing well. He's been sleeping well and it seems like he's always been a part of the family. He'll be a week old tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your tree is cracking me up. I had no idea you do that! I think ours will be up for weeks. Can't take it down until Elton and Penny come visit and then we have to muster the energy to take it down. I think I will be busy feeding Daniel when it is time to put it away ;)
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the way! Once you accept this new little idea into your consciousness, it's as though he has always been and you aren't complete without him. I noticed that with each of my children but especially the one I didn't really plan. God sends what you need . . .
ReplyDeleteMy dad always cut the limbs off the tree while it was still in the house. I, too, am slow to remove decorations. Last year I never put the ceramics away.
I think it's probably a good thing we don't have an artificial tree--I'd probably never get around to getting it put away! I've put nothing away since Saturday, but then I've been in my sewing room. I seem to be a one- dimensional person these days.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I've seen pictures of Mary Engelbreit's homes and she always seems to have certain Christmas things up all year. I think that means you're creative! :-)
I am grateful for the benefits of an artificial tree -- namely that we can put it up and take it down as circumstances allow. But I will say, the year I took it down in March, the ornaments faded noticeably, so now I make it a point to dismantle it before we leave after Christmas. My mother made an ornament of the leftover pink beads from my wedding gown, and the color faded right out of the side toward the sun.
ReplyDelete