I just finished a book that I couldn't put down. It's by an author I've enjoyed before and came recommended by Ann so I knew I would probably enjoy it, but it truly was a page turner. And more than that, it was the first book in a long time that I didn't peek at the end somewhere along the line to see if I liked the ending and if it was worth my time to finish. (Yes, I'm a peeker...)
The book? Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner. It's a story set in England during the Second World War and features two sisters caught in the blitz, Hitler's Luftwaffe's devastating bombing of London in 1940. I love history and I love novels set in England so I was pulled in immediately. The story is presented in an unusual way, and I'm really not saying anything more.
I know all readers don't always like the same type of book, but I think most people will be drawn into this book and, like me, be pulled in all the way to the end. Enjoy! ♥
Thanks for your review. I'll keep it in mind. I, too, am a "peeker" for the same reason. If the ending is a downer, count me out!
ReplyDeleteYup! No downer endings for me either! I want to be entertained or edified, not horrified or depressed.
DeletePeekers! I'm appalled at the thought! Why bother with the book if you know how it ends? Are you also the types who would find your Christmas presents early or open and then re-wrap? (I am amused by this cute-ness, but we differ for sure).
ReplyDeleteHi Hallie! Yes, I peek because I don't want to waste my time. Good ending? Now I can relax and enjoy the book.
DeleteAnd no, I don't even want to look at my wrapped presents because I don't want to guess what might be inside--I want to be surprised!
I see. That makes sense.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm curious to know if you read Grapes of Wrath? I did NOT like the ending to that book.
I read it years ago and I didn't like it either. In fact, that may be when I began peeking! As I told your mom, I read to be entertained or edified, not to be horrified or depressed. Same with TV shows and movies . I turn them off at home and have been known to walk out of theaters in the middle of the show.
DeleteHave been busy today. Had a meeting at my kitchen table this afternoon. I had to clean my counters.
DeleteI peek when I read light novels, especially if it's dragging a bit. The great American novel, such as the Grapes of Wrath, often does not end happily, and I've wondered what makes them great anyway. Of course, with my study books, it doesn't matter whether I skip or not.
As you may recall, I choose my own Christmas gift anyway, but no, I wouldn't go out of my way to spoil any surprise -- but I would look at the last page of the book.
Isn't it great that Hallie got her iPad fixed? Now she can visit again.
I've often wondered about those "classic" great American novels myself. They are invariably depressing, as are many of the current best sellers. I stand by my reading rules!!
DeleteAnd it is great to hear from Hallie! Didn't know her iPad was under the weather, but happy to have her back. :-)
Ha! Yes, the iPad is back and that does make me more active on the blogs. My work has also slowed to a tolerable level and I have more mental capacity for engagement.
DeleteEven better than having the iPad back is having work slow down! I know just what you mean having having the mental capacity for engagement.
Delete