Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday

The sun is shining now, but this morning it snowed!  It's a week until March, but I think weather-wise, it's already here.  

So what have I been up to?  Lots of knitting.  I made two lace scarves for friends.  One was a birthday gift for the secretary at the school where I taught, and the other is for a long-time friend who had to retire from teaching for health reasons just when I began and gave me boxes and boxes of much appreciated teacher supplies.  I used this pattern again, making one in silver and the other in light purple.  I love that pattern!  I also finished a pair of socks.

In the sewing room I've been slowly working on a winter quilt using the Through the Winter Woods fabric.  I love how it's looking and Dan really likes it, too.  I need to add the borders and it will be ready to quilt.


My lovely "design wall" is a picnic table cloth pinned up with the flannel side out  It works perfectly and just fits the space.  It sure came in handy for this quilt because I needed to put all the pieces in place before stitching any of the blocks to be certain I had a nice spread of the colors before getting to the last block and discovering I only had one color of strips left.  The bars on my Handi-Quilter cover up the lower left side in case you wonder what you're seeing there.  :-)

And now I'm off to sit by the fire in the basement and do some more knitting.  It's a simple scarf using some leftover yarn.  Perfect for TV watching or just a lazy day project.

Happy Saturday!  ♥

4 comments:

  1. Those are pretty winter scenes. Can you believe I'm already thinking about summer? All it takes to spark a thought of summer over here is a sunny day. Sunny days are not generally part of our February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had sun for the past few days and it's wonderful. I'll join you in thinking summer. Maybe I'll even be able to get some zucchini to grow!

      Delete
  2. This handwork is really good for us. It keeps both our hands and our brains active. Such a pretty pattern you're using for the scarves.

    Interesting about your design wall. I could rig up something like that -- if I ever needed it. Did this quilt pattern come in your book? Or did you design it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, you could easily create a design wall and take it down when not needed. I used to put mine up in the hall and take it down and finally it dawned on me that I could use that spot in my sewing room and leave it up. I just use straight pins (tacked with a little hammer) to hang it. It's been a lifesaver several times.

      Delete