Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Advent

Yes, gentle readers, it's me.  I didn't intentionally mean to refrain from blogging these last weeks, but as time went on, I did make that decision.  I decided that I wasn't going to miss this Christmas by racing from one "should do" to another.  And it's been wonderful.  I just slowed down and prayerfully sought out what was important and what just didn't matter.  

I've decorated the house, of course, because that brings me joy.  Candles, the tree lights, the decorations going back to early years of married and family life help remind me of many happy years of blessings.  And I've had time to sit back and enjoy them.  


We put the tree in a corner of the dining room that adjoins the living room and we like it there.  We didn't have to disrupt the living room by moving furniture and that was a gift in itself. We actually bought a tree this year!  Dan and grandson Keaton went to a Christmas tree farm owned by some friends from church and cut this one down.  Its size is perfect for the spot.

The weekend of the 13th and 14th, we watched Keaton and Daniel while Ann, Eric, and Cameron drove to Seattle for the Seahawks/49er's  game.  Ann received the tickets from Eric for her 40th birthday in October, and since Cameron is a 'Hawks fan, he got to go, too


Dan and I had a great time with Keaton and Daniel.  In addition to the tree-getting, Christmas cookie baking was on the agenda.  We made candy cane cookies and gingerbread cutouts.  


Note the smashed cookie dough in front of D.  He thought it was as much fun as PlayDoh, with tastier results.  (See below...)


A special Christmas gift arrived early one day in the mail. When I picked up a small box that had been delivered, I recognized the handwriting of my long-time friend, Kathy.  When I opened it, I found a note telling me that she had received the last of her mother's Christmas ornaments, and wanted to share some with me.  As I unwrapped each ornament, I remembered seeing them on the huge tree that was the center of her family's extensive decorating.  They brought tears to my eyes and I love each of them.



One of the things I have most enjoyed over this advent season has been the reading of Ann Voskamp's book, The Greatest Gift.  


It is an advent book with readings for each day of December until Christmas and it has helped me truly focus on the reason for this season.  She begins in Genesis and follows God's plan for our redemption through the Bible.  Her way with words is truly God-given.  I can't recommend this book enough.  

And now, it's December 23.  It's been a Christmas season that I've loved,  Tomorrow Ann, Eric and the boys will arrive about noon and will stay with us for several days.  That they live here in town and still want to come and stay is a precious gift.  Bruder Bear, Karen, nephew JR and niece Kirsten along with her new fiance Tim (wedding in May!) will all be at Mom and Dad's for Christmas.  Our gang will drive down on Saturday and join them for a family day.  

May your Christmas be filled with joy and love as we celebrate the birth of Jesus.  ♥

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you, Aunt Chris! I've been thinking of you and I'm glad to know that you've been enjoying the holiday season. We didn't get a tree or decorate, but we've already purchased some of our first ornaments bought together in preparation for next year. :) We look forward to next year when we put lights out and decorate a tree! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Hallie!! Next Christmas will be so much fun in your house, and you've a whole year to gather in and ponder what you'll do. I'm excited for you! I just wrapped my last present (I'm so fortunate in that Dan will wrap, and he told me he'll do the ones for Eric). Let the festivities begin!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Chris -- We have missed you! But it looks like you had a good advent, and that's as it should be.
    Merry Christmas! (Will write more later.)

    ReplyDelete